Are you expecting a baby soon, or do you know somebody who is? Having the right baby accessories before the little bundle of joy arrives can make life so much easier for a new mom. And you don’t need to get the latest and sleekest baby accessories. Instead, look first at what problem they will solve, and then shop accordingly.
When it comes to buying baby gear, I have my fair share of experience. I was overwhelmed with gadgets when my first was born. We bought many baby accessories ourselves, but family and friends helped out too, and before he had even arrived his baby room looked like the set of a Star Trek film. Three years later we had a baby girl, and this time we were wiser. We stuck to the essentials that make life with a baby so much easier. We want to help other moms do the same.
Baby Accessories FAQ
There’s a baby accessory for everything, but not everything requires a baby accessory. And when it comes down to it, what is a baby accessory? Do babies even need all these accessories? And if they do, how much are they going to cost?
These are the big questions that need answering before you go shopping. You want to make sure that your money is going to products that will help mommy and baby, and not just look like cool gadgets with lights.
What are baby accessories?
When you think of baby accessories, you may think of diapers and bottles and cute little onesies. These aren’t really accessories, however. They are essentials (especially the cute onesies). Your baby needs diapers, and for safety, it’s wise to have a bottle or two laying around the house. On the other hand, accessories are items that enhance caring for and bonding with a baby. Diapers are essentials, but bibs are accessories. Tearless baby shampoo is essential, but a baby bath support is an accessory. You get the idea.
How can baby accessories help a new mom?
For starters, baby accessories can help a new mom better care for her baby. These are items that bring utility to her life and take just a little bit of burden off her shoulders. She’s going to be exhausted from waking up every few hours all night. This will last for months. If a baby accessory can help the baby to fall asleep a little faster, that’s a few more precious minutes of “me” time that mommy can have.
Sometimes baby accessories can help baby and mommy bond. For instance, a baby sling may seem like an excellent way for a mom to carry a baby around while keeping her hands free to do other things, but it also provides a deep feeling of connection. There’s nothing like the feeling of your newborn peacefully sleeping against your chest, snug and safe.
Are baby accessories safe?
In a perfect world, anything to do with children would be 100 percent safe. Unfortunately, that’s not the case in the real world. Many baby products get sold to turn a profit, and not to help the babies or their parents. Thankfully most western governments try their best to keep these items off store shelves. For the most part, you can trust the established brands. These companies have strict quality control methods, inspect every item before it ships, and only work with trusted manufacturers. We here at Presents4Mom do everything we can to recommend safe products and services.
How much do baby accessories cost?
The price of a baby accessory depends on a variety of factors. The brand and the retailer play a part in its price. Also, just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s of better quality. That said, avoid products from dollar stores. These are often unsafe for baby and sometimes mommy as well.
For the most part, expect to pay more for a good quality, functional, safe baby accessory.
How We Reviewed Baby Accessories
Because sorting through millions of competing baby accessories is hard work, you may be tempted to grab the most expensive item. This is not a winning shopping strategy. To help you, we’ve narrowed the list down to the 10 best baby accessories every mom should have.
To review these baby accessories, we first sat down and thought of the 10 most essential accessories new moms should include in their homes. Then we looked at the different brands on the market and discarded the ones that didn’t meet our strict standards of function, safety, and price.
Next, we looked at customer reviews. Because we love reading how products hold up in the real world, we read through a lot of Amazon customer reviews. The highest star ratings meant that this was the item with which customers were most pleased.
The Top 10 Baby Accessories
(in no particular order)
The 10 baby accessories we chose are what we consider the best accessories for moms. These are the accessories that every mom should have in her home for when baby arrives. They are first and foremost functional, and they are also safe.
Powell’s Owls Baltic amber teething necklace
- SAFE & ORGANIC TEETHING RELIEF - A safe alternative to toxic, chemical teething tablets. Reduces drooling and fussiness. Amber's natural Succinic Acid boosts the immune system and reduces gum swelling.
- HIGHEST QUALITY AMBER - Your baby deserves the best. Handcrafted from all natural, authentic Baltic Amber. Each necklace is beautifully polished to perfection by a 100% chemical-free process using small pine pieces in a wooden tumbler. Amber Necklace verified authentic by the Gemological Institute of America, the world's leading authority in gemology.
- WORKS FASTER & LASTS LONGER - Authentic Baltic Amber contains more Succinic acid than imitation opal. Teething pain relief for your baby in 15-30 minutes. Necklace does not lose effectiveness over time.
- DURABLE & SAFE DESIGN - Carefully designed for durability and safety. The screw clasp prevents your baby from taking the necklace off. Every bead is secured by two knots. This prevents a choking hazard. 3 sizes to choose from: pick the best length for your infant or toddler's neck.
- UNMATCHED GUARANTEE Put us to the test! Use the Amber Necklace for up to 30 days, risk-free. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, return the product for a full refund. 100% Money-Back Guarantee. Also, for a limited time, you will receive a FREE Silicone Teething Necklace with your purchase ($15 value!)
The first thing every mom should have in her inventory is a teething necklace. Most teething necklaces are made from Baltic amber. This amber is derived from the Baltic region and contains succinic acid, a natural ingredient which helps relieve teething pain and has a calming effect on babies. Powell’s Owls is an Oregon-based company who specializes in Baltic amber teething necklaces. Their necklaces have safety clasps, so baby never gets stuck in it. Customer on Amazon rated Powell’s Owls Baltic amber teething necklaces 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Boba baby wrap
- Bonding is the intense attachment that develops between parents and their baby, Boba Wraps hold your baby close to your heart.
- Nursing your newborn in this wrap is comfortable and discreet.
- Making your life easier with a machine washable French Terry blend and a lifetime guarantee.
- Bond with your little one while getting back into the swing of things: you'll be able to tie this once and then wear it out and about. 95% Cotton, The Spandex in our wrap allows it to retain it's shape and not loosen or sag as you re-adjust to nurse or take baby out to go for a ride in the car.
- Simple, no-guess tying instructions and just one size make this unisex wrap your go-to baby carrier for the first three months of parenthood.
Next, every mom should have a baby wrap available. These fabric wraps are amazingly comfortable and liberating. They help moms avoid the dreaded bad back, keep baby warm and secure, and provide the ultimate feeling of freedom while bonding with their little ones. Boba baby wraps are a Colorado company operated by a wife and husband team. Their wraps are designed by parents for parents and made with non-allergenic materials. Best of all, they are intended to wrap easily with little fuss. Customers on Amazon rated them 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Hatch Baby white noise machine
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: Rest combines nightlight, sound machine, and time-to-rise alert in one easy-to-use device that you can control from your phone! Customize color, brightness, sound, and volume level. Set programs to turn off and on automatically based on your family's sleep schedule.
- EASY TO USE: Rest can be programmed to turn on automatically, can be adjusted remotely via phone, or can be tapped on manually as needed. Control remotely via easy-to-use Hatch Baby Rest app. No need to disrupt a sleeping baby!
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD: Rest grows with your child's needs - providing soft light and white noise for midnight newborn feeding sessions, the comfort of a nightlight for a preschooler, plus a time-to-rise setting for your older child! Includes toddler lock feature and stays cool throughout the night for safety.
- ENCOURAGES BETTER SLEEP: Create the ideal sleep environment for your child. Choose from preset sound and color combinations recommended by sleep experts! Requirements: Smartphone or tablet running iOS (9 or higher) or Android (Lollipop or higher)
Most first-time parents don’t realize how helpful a white noise machine is. When you have one running in the baby’s room, you can walk normally, watch TV at a reasonable volume, and even do the dishes. Not all baby accessories need to be soft and cuddly. In the case of noise machines, you want to find something that is dependable, provides the right level of white noise, and are stylish enough to match baby’s room. Hatch Baby has just the machine. Hatch Baby is part tech-startup and part parent-owned company who want to merge baby accessories with modern technology.
This white noise machine is one that will stay with your baby for years. It provides white noise for when they’re infants, then a soft night light for their toddler years, and a time-to-rise soft wakeup for older children. The entire unit looks similar to a Google Home. Controlled by a phone app, Amazon customers rated it 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Halo sleep sack and swaddle
- The only 3-way adjustable swaddle that adjusts to your baby's sleep style. Swaddle arms in, hands-to-face, one or both arms out to ensure baby's best sleep and an easy and gentle transition to the SleepSack wearable blanket when it is time to stop swaddling
- #1 Choice of hospitals. Used by hospitals nationwide as their swaddle of choice for safe sleep education. Strong, adjustable fasteners ensure a perfect fit and resist breakouts for more secure swaddling
- "Back is Best" embroidery reminds caregivers to place baby on his or her back
- Unzips from the bottom allowing baby to stay swaddled for easy diaper changes. Sleeveless design reduces the risk of overheating
- Generous sack design allows room for kicking, but cannot be kicked off so baby stays warm all night. Recognized as "Hip Healthy" by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute, This item can be worn in all seasons.
If there’s one baby accessory every new mom needs, it’s a swaddle. Often a baby who keeps waking up at night simply wants to be swaddled, and the Halo sleep sack is the answer. You don’t need to know how to swaddle an infant to use the Halo sleep sack. You can just slip baby in, wrap the big wings around, and watch your baby drift off to dreamland almost instantly. Halo is a New York company who has been creating sleep sacks since 1994. The Halo swaddle sleep sack is considered “hip healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Also, it's recognized as a trusted product in reducing the risk of SIDS. Customers rated it 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Playtex Diaper Genie
- ALL IN ONE DIAPER PAIL - Diaper Genie's ultimate diaper disposal system controls odors and makes changing your baby's dirty diapers a breeze. Our tallest pail requires no bending with a foot pedal for easy, hygienic and hands-free opening.
- BUILT IN ANTIMICROBIAL - Upgrade your nursery with Diaper Genie. The Complete Pail includes built-in Antimicrobial that inhibits bacteria growth on the pail.
- KEEP YOUR NURSERY FRESH - Unlike other pails without clamps, the Complete Pail features Double Air-Tite Clamps that works with the 7-layer diaper pail refill bags and carbon filter to add a layer of double dooty odor protection.
- FEWER TRIPS TO THE TRASH CAN - Our refill bags hold up to 270 newborn diapers and changing out the bags is simple and hassle-free with the front tilt bin and built-in cutter for your convenience.
- #1 SELLING DIAPER PAIL - Over 1.5 million moms put their trust in Diaper Genie Complete for a fresher smelling nursery.
Fifth on our list is an essential item for every mom. An odor-locking diaper pail will make every mother’s life 10-times better, and the classic Playtex Diaper Genie is still the number one choice after more than 25 years. The Diaper Genie locks all the bad smells in. The diapers get compacted into a sausage-like plastic tube. It's easy to remove and dispose of. Best of all, the baggie refills are available at most retailers. Amazon Basics even has their own discounted refills for the Diaper Genie. Because this is the ultimate in utility value, customers on Amazon gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Infant Optics DXR-8 baby monitor
- 2018 AWARD WINNER: Popular Mechanics Best Baby Monitor, 9/25/18
- Interchangeable optical lens capability: allows you to customize viewing angle and zoom
- Unlike internet cameras: no loading time to open app. Instant playback, lag-free, and does not hog up your smartphone screen thanks to a dedicated 3.5" screen
- 100% digital privacy: no video or sound passed through the internet; Remote pan/tilt/zoom
- RF Frequency: 2400 Mhz ~ 2483.5 Mhz Transmission Range: Up to 700 feet (line of sight, no obstruction). Channel Bandwidth - 3.375 MHz
Next is the world’s best video baby monitor. The DXR-8, from Infant Optics, has won awards and accolades from around the world for its security and the crystal-clear image it provides. Infant Optics is a San Francisco company. The DXR-8 comes with six interchangeable lenses for different conditions, and a 3.5-inch color screen provides a sharp image of your sleeping baby with no pixelation or stutters. The transmission between the camera and monitor is encrypted. Nobody can hack into your stream. You can pan, tilt, and zoom the camera remotely. Also, a row of LED lights along the monitor alerts you if the baby starts crying. Customers on Amazon rated it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Kishu Baby organic drool bib
- Regretting your 10-pack purchase of cheap, stiff, poorly made in China drool bandanas that look more like an upside down slice of pizza around your baby boy's neck? Mamma Mia! Our premium organic bandana bibs for boys have a natural soft curve to them and fit proportionate to your child's body size without looking like an oversized feeding bib at mealtime
- We believe there is good in the world; our organic muslin bandana bibs are beautifully and ethically made in India; we help fight global warming by planting 100 trees every year and nurturing 350 more; we also empower women in their local communities by hiring 100% women for final inspection and packing in order to increase social status
- Unlike other organic drool bibs, our reversible bandana bibs unfold into a perfect square so you can conveniently use as a wipe cloth for messy little hands & faces and a burp cloth for when you are on the go! Makes a wonderful organic baby gift; 3-way adjustable neck with snaps fits both babies and toddlers ages 3 to 36 months; easy to snap on and off but difficult to unfasten by babies
- Super absorbent with 8 layers muslin when folded in half and used as an organic bib; soaks up all spit up and drool while keeping baby and mama clean and dry (also means less laundry for mama!)
- Other search terms customers have used to find this baby accessory: bibs organic, bib bandana baby, muslin baby bandana bibs, baby boy bandana bibs, plain bandana bibs for boys, bandana bib muslin, bib bandanas, muslin bibs bandana, linen bandana bib, bandana drool bib, bandana bib unisex, scarf bib, organic baby, boys bandana bibs, baby drool bibs, organic baby bibs, muslin bibs, bandana baby bibs, solid bandana bibs, baby bibs pack
Because babies drool a lot, parents wash clothing a lot. No baby likes to wear a wet shirt around, but they keep drooling all over their shirts. If the baby is teething, you might as well keep them shirtless, Either that or tie a Kishu Baby drool bib around them and save on heating and laundry bills. Kishu Baby is a California company that provides organic, well-made baby fabrics such as bibs, blankets, bonnets, and other textiles. The Kishu baby drool bib is a cool-looking bandana that is comfortable to wear and folds into a handy washcloth. Also, it’s soft and super-absorbent. Join the Amazon customers who gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Safety 1st baby nail clippers
- Curved cutting edges
- Built-in light at tip of nail clippers
- Long lasting battery
- Large ergonomic soft touch handle
- Includes emery board slot and emery board
If there’s one thing that takes every new mom by surprise, it’s the first time her sweet little baby claws a chunk of flesh from her face with razor-sharp little fingernails. It usually happens two more times before mommy decides to pick up a set of baby nail clippers. Avoid the scars and have these ready beforehand.
Safety 1st baby nail clippers are the best of the bunch. It’s safe, so you can’t take off too much nail, and if the baby gets her hands on them, she can’t hurt herself. Safety 1st is a Canadian brand from Montreal that produces car seats, soothers, nail clippers, cribs, playpens, and everything else baby-related. If that’s not reason enough to pick them up, then the 4.0 out of 5 stars that Safety 1st gave this product might convince you.
iProven DMT-489 digital thermometer
- THE ESSENTIAL THERMOMETER IN EVERY HOUSEHOLD - The perfect thermometer for all ages. Measure your infant's temperature with a quick swipe across the forehead. Your little one will never notice-even while sleeping!
- ADVANCED MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY - Our thermometer delivers a fast measurement with consistent accuracy thanks to our tried-and-true calibration technology.
- INTELLIGENT FEVER ALARM - The display will light up red if a fever is detected. You will know immediately if your kiddie's temperature requires immediate attention.
- DUAL MODE - Using Ear Mode will give you a reading in only one second. Or try Head Mode-the most convenient way to measure your temperature in three seconds. A must-have for the entire family.
- OUR 100-100 POLICY - Order today, and you're protected by our 100-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee. Our customer support team is ready to go the extra mile with you!
When the baby comes down with a fever for the first time, parents can get into a panic. When the cheap off-brand thermometer they bought gives eight different temperatures in five minutes, it only makes things worse. Moms can avoid this by having a reliable thermometer by the Dutch company iProven on hand.
The DMT-489 is the 2018 children’s thermometer of choice according to Amazon. Simply rest it just inside the baby’s ear, and within moments it will have a reading. If baby has an ear infection, the thermometer can get a reading from his forehead. The reading is accurate and reliable every time. Best of all, the iProven customers on Amazon rated it 3.8 out of 5 stars.
AngelCare Baby Bath Booster
- Using innovative, research-based ergonomic design and advanced technology, the Angelcare Bath Support helps keep babies safe, supported and squeaky clean. Holds babies safely in place so you can concentrate on enjoying bath time with your child.
- Our sturdy Bath Support is made with soft-touch material, providing a comfortable place for babies to rest during bath time. The durable, mold-resistant seat keeps its shape. Appropriate for newborns up to six months with a maximum weight of 30 pounds.
- Easy to Clean: Because good hygiene is important, you can easily rinse the Bath Support after each use to keep it clean and mildew free. The support drains and dries quickly. For easy storage, it offers a built-in hook to hang up when not in use.
- Portable with no Assembly Required: For moving from one bathroom to another or for easy travel, our Bath Support features a carry handle. Plus, there's no assembly required-it's ready to use right out of the box
- The mesh material allows water to drain easily from the bath support and dries quickly
Finally, we have the AngelCare Baby Bath Booster. Because babies get dirty really quickly, they require bathing. When they’re in the tub or sink, or whatever, mom and dad will need to make sure baby’s head is above water, and the rest of them is under. This is where a bath booster comes in handy, and the AngelCare bath booster is the best. Simply place this comfy plastic recliner in the water and place baby in it. The booster will hold baby securely, so mom or dad can keep both hands free. Also, customers on Amazon gave it 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Our Final Thoughts
It's difficult to determine what to buy because there are millions of baby accessories on the market. We’ve reviewed plenty of products and decided on the best baby accessories for every mom. Also, we have quite a bit of experience with our own babies. The best baby accessories solve a problem. But also, they are safe and have a competitive price. Whether that’s a teething necklace, a digital thermometer, or a drool bib, the best baby accessories make every mom’s life easier.